Hans Christian Anderson on Stage

Just the other day, we were talking about the story of the Princess and the Pea which made me think of this illustration which I have always loved....

It's the work of Edmund Dulac and appears in The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen, which I would highly recommend.  I also love the new translations done by Tiina Nunnally.

It's amazing to read through the stories and realise just how many fairy tales originated with Andersen.  My son pointed out that Ponyo is based on Andersen's The Little Mermaid, which somehow never occurred to me.

But since our friend Mr. Andersen seems to be turning up everywhere, we weren't too surprised to find that someone has now written a play based on a selection of his tales.
Anderson's Inkwell is by Gina Wilkinson and Micheline Chevrier and we are looking forward to going to see it at the end of the month.  I have snagged this page from the Geordie  website and do hope they won't mind!


Comments

Popular Posts